White Beans With Chard And Tomatoes
- 1 bunch swiss chard, cut into 2 inch strips
- ¼ cup olive oil (I use less)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Cut off chard stems into 2 inch pieces (I find this really easy to do using kitchen shears). Wash well in bowl of water, rinsing several times (sometimes it can be sandy).
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add chard and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain greens and press out excess water.
- In a saucepan, heat oil. Add garlic and red pepper and cook over medium heat until garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil (careful - oil may splatter- have a lid nearby).
- Add beans and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add chard and simmer until flavors meld, 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and serve as a side dish, or with some brown rice for a meal.