Snobby Joes (on Whole Grain Hamburger Buns)
This recipe was recommended to us by our dentist. After trying it, we made it a second time in the same week. Delicious!
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, stuff small dice
- 1 green bell pepper, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2-3 TB maple syrup
- 1 TB prepared yellow mustard
- Pour the lentils and water into a small saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil; once the mixture is boiling, lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are soft. Drain and set aside.
- About 10 mins before the lentils are done, preheat a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion and pepper in the oil for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and saute for a minute more.
- Stir in the cooked lentils, chili powder, oregano, and salt. Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and heat through.
- Turn off the heat and let the pot sit on the warm burner for about 10 minutes so that the flavors can meld.
Number of Servings: 5
- Calories: 154.2
- Fat: 4.0g
- Carbohydrates: 27.1g
- Protein: 6.0g