- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ cups cooked lentils
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 2 eggs, or 3 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups fresh bread crumbs (I toast a couple bread heels in the oven)
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add cumin and fennel; heat until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Mix in cayenne, lentils, onions, rice, tomato paste, and broth. Cook until no liquid remains, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly, fold in remaining ingredients.
- Spoon into nonstick loaf pan (I line with parchment paper for easier removal).
- Bake until firm, about 45 minutes.
My husband, Thomas, and daughter, Julia, like to eat this warm with some ketchup, and a side of garlic mashed potatoes. I like to make it into a sandwich – cold with bbq sauce on multigrain bread.